A website is a necessity for any business or anyone and a domain name is a key part of any website.
Choosing A Good Domain Name
A good domain is short, brandable while not being too generic. A .com domain is ideal as it is the most popular extension. Here is a checklist of things for a good domain:
- Ideally, shorter than 10 characters
- The shorter, the easier for people to remember.
- Easy to remember
- This includes not being too long as well as using weird spellings that people may not be able to remember.
- All characters instead of using symbols or numbers
- Having hyphens or numbers in your domain make the domain look unprofessional and make it harder for people to remember.
- Try to anticipate future changes and allow for the domain to adapt
- If you think your business might change locations, instead of picking a domain with a location name, try picking a domain with just your business name.
Finding A Domain Registrar
Domain registrars are the companies that will sell you the domain. Finding a domain registrar can be a hard process. Here are some popular choices:
Once you pick your domain registrar, go to their website and start the process of signing up for a domain. While the process varies by each domain registrar, the key parts should be similar. The process should consist of selecting a domain, saying how long you want the domain and saying where you want your domain to be hosted.